Friday, 18 March 2016

Tim's tags 2016 March

Ok so I have had to play catch up!  Where has this year gone?  The first 1/4 is almost history!

This is my March tag.

As usual, I don't have all the tools and products that Tim used, but I have made do with distress paint instead of distress crayons and the Umbrella man instead of the butterflies as well as a book page instead of the tissue paper...  It is about the creative process... not making a carbon copy of Tim's! 

These are all my bits before I layered them all up.

Here are all 3 tags of mine and these are the links back to Tim's.

Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Steampunk hat

It is with great excitement that I can now share with you my latest hat.

I entered it into a competition over at a local scrapbook store called Scrapbook Treasury.

The results of the competition were released this morning and I am thrilled to say that I won!  The prize is a week-end getaway for 2 and I will be taking it up in August!

My base was a shop bought blank satin black hat.
While shopping in a local store called the Crazy Store, I came across this candle holder and it sparked an idea for the hat.
I had to give it a spray with primer so that the copper paint would stick...
Then I sprayed the whole thing copper, cut a slit in the hat and glued the candelabra in place.  I had to snip a little of the spike off so it did not dig into my head...
Then I set about stenciling on the patterns by using Tim Holtz stencils and a compass mask of his with distress paint in black soot over the top.  The other stencils I used were by Prima and Crafters Workshop.
Here you have the basic hat before the embellishments.

Some stamping on Tim's tags
Tim's mask on the back of the hat with a clock key
The goggles

The products I used are: plain black top hat, copper spray paint, alcohol ink in pitch black and copper mixative. Black soot distress paint,  glossy accents to glue the cogs,  clear rock candy distress crackle paint, copper perfect pearls on the goggles,  Tim Holtz tickets and metal ideology stuff, stampendous steampunk shoes stamps, jet black archival ink, metal flowers and cogs and a pair of welders goggles to which I added the lid from a mini cookie jar to extend the one lens.

It took me a total of 8 hours to complete this hat, not including drying time for things like the clear rock candy crackle paint on the goggles which I left to dry overnight.