Sunday 20 October 2019

Steampunk Finnabair Canvas with Mitform Castings metal embellishments



I recently won a parcel of Mitform Castings metal embellishments on an Instagram post.  So I have been plotting to create a project worthy of their use!  You know what it is like when you have something precious... You keep it for THAT special project that never comes around...

To avoid these delicious metal pieces from forever living in a box I created a canvas just for them!

I had also recently been to a craft expo here in Berlin and purchased some Antonis Tzanidakis stencils and wanted to use them too... they were all shiny and new... still in their packaging!

Coming from South Africa where post is not the most reliable way to receive anything (think affirmative shopping)  ie Theft...  Online shopping is not a thing...

Having recently moved to Europe, I can now shop on line and know that the stuff will arrive in one piece and on time!  So I had purchased the Finnabair moulds with the wings and the cogs last month and needed to use those too...

With all these exciting new "toys"  I spent the day in my studio yesterday blissfully creating away!

My inspiration was this project found on Pinterest by Antonis Tzanidakis:  I loved his colour usage here
"Adventure" New adventures in your life are always welcome..anyway what we could do without that..☠️☠️ New materials, new techniques and ideas..and as always Dusty Attic chipboards.. New class for 2019

Here is my project:


I started with a black canvas 30x40cm and stenciled the design in the background with Wendy Vecchi texture paste in black.  When this was dry, I set about designing my layers of Mitform Castings metal embelishments and the Finn items I had moulded with poly urethane.

Once I was happy with my design, I glued it all down and sprayed the whole canvas black with matt black spray paint... I like this option as it does not leave brush marks and gets into and under all the the grooves of the various layers.

I took out the Finn paint sets for rust and Patina effect pastes as well as her Ginger Magic Sparks acrylic paint.  For some deeper colours, I used some normal acrylic paint in Indian red oxide, burnt siena, umber and black.



Above, you can see the first layer of burnt siena ... then I got engrossed in my project and forgot to take photos!

In the photo above you can see the turquoise is quite bright so I knocked it back a bit and added the sparks on the gold rust areas.


Finally I added some ginger sparks to some of the stencil work in the background to link the two as well as some turquoise in the metal embellishments and behind the objects, also as a way to join the foreground and background.














4 comments:

  1. I am not sure I can even find the words to describe this canvas, it is absolutely stunning (I even loved it at the black stage)! You certainly put those castings to good use, the layout is wonderful and the patina colour you achieved in the background is simply gorgeous. I love this! Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS AWESOME!!! You always do steampunk so right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the best steampunk projects I’ve seen for ages, Bella. Well done, well done indeedy! I absolutely love this... I must try and get hold of some stencils... I have it in mind to make some spoke guards for my new wheelchair which has quite an industrial look about it - steampunk is what I want to do, and this canvas of yours has really inspired me!!!

    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bella...I think this is my favorite steampunk design ever! I'm gathering some Mitform embellishments but can't seem to find those particular wings anywhere. Were they part of the package you won or a different brand? Nice bit of luck winning the package because Mitform Castings are difficult to find and quite pricey. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Its always lovely to hear from you , so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. Please excuse word varification, I've been getting lots of spam comments.