The other issue is that when they are stacked, you can't see the colour, or differentiate, base from lid!
So I needed a solution and this is what I did:
Here you can see that I have dragged the ink pad across some A4 paper and the stack of non decipherable colours are lying on their side above the page.
I then set about putting double sided tape on the back of the colour strips and cut them to fit the lid and base of each pad.
Here are the inks inside their box
I decided that some hardware was required and used two corner brads (I cut their tails off) to glue onto the box lid for decor.
Thanks for the visit.