Monday 27 July 2015

My Day in Class with Frank Garcia from Prima Marketing

This is Frank's project with all the layers of techniques and delicious Prima products.  Gratefully, he encourages you to put your own spin on it.  I saw this was the project on instagram (not by accident...I went looking to see if I could get any clues as to what we were going to do...it makes the control freak in me happy) that he did with the class during the week and so I took my crackled heart (done for Linda's CC3 challenge) with to JHB to add to mine.

Here I am on the plane, ready for my 2 hour flight up north to Johannesburg from Cape Town on Friday.  The event was a two day program with Frank teaching all day on Saturday and Jowilna and Cariena teaching scrapbook layouts on Sunday.
When I got into class, Linda King came to find me. (not hard to recognise me with my hair I guess) as we have been Facebook buddies for a while.  It was so lovely to finally meet in person!
Here I am with Frank in his class.  He is just the best teacher.  So patient, knowledgeable about his products and very clear in his instructions.  His project took all day to make and we worked at a leisurely pace which was divine.  No stress involved at all.
This is my project at the lunch break
A close up of the cracks and the pearls.  They just glow and have such divine colours.
I am a bit of a steampunk fan (in case you had not known that snippet of info) and so I swapped the flowers out for cogs and a bit more bling...  this is my finished project.

I got Frank to sign the back of it for me.  He is just the best...but then I am repeating myself...cos he is so awesome!

Below is the photo of all 100 delegates that took this class on Saturday.  Not hard to spot me!

On the Friday before class, my friend Jen took myself together with Carolyn and Jo (fellow Capetonians) to Pretoria to do a little Scrapbook retail therapy.  We hit Aquila Scrapbooking and Scrap-a-doodles stores then came back to JHB where Jen invited us into her home for pizza and drinks... carbo loading before the event...well isn't that what other marathon type people do?  Our events are like marathons too, only they are creative ones! LOL!
Here is some of the stash I bought at these two stores, the stuff I purchased at the event is buried in my bag still... perhaps it will surface for Wednesday's desk post.
Above is a pic of the dining room.  The conference venue was very unique and beautiful.
This is Cariena Basson (no relation to me) our generous and gracious host for the week-end as well as owner of Scrapbook Studios.  She has a heart of gold and put so much effort into making sure that everything ran as smoothly as possible.  I cannot begin to imagine what pressure and stress she had pulling off an event like this. (I pinched this photo off Facebook, it was taken by Jowilna Nolte  the local teacher for Sunday...more about her and her project in another post) 
These are Cariena's trusty staff: Kim, Priscilla and Kaylene who are featured here just outside their home town of J Bay. (again, I pulled this photo off Facebook from Cariena's page)  They also went out of their way to make you feel welcome and looked after.  I am sure they are all going to sleep for a week!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a brilliant creative weekend! Your heart project is gorgeous! I can see that you have tried new techniques yet it seems quintessentially you too! Very lush colours and textures but your Steampunk vibe is so you and very appealing! Thanks for sharing & glad you had a fab time! Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great crafty adventure! Thanks for the periscope videos-wish I could have caught them live. Love your take on Franks piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic weekend and a wonderful project to take home too x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole 3 days was a creative, chatty binge of note. Thank you for your contribution to the fun and learning Bella! For your regular commenters: Bella taught half of the Jo'burg ladies some new tricks, not least of which is to eat dessert first 😄

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100 people? WOW!!! Great project too...love your steampunk spin! Glad you had a wonderful little crafty vaca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so envious now. What a fab project and what a great class - 100 is a WOW figure surely!!
    Love your variations on his the;me, great to put your own twist on it. I had no idea you were a steampunk fan - no more than I would not have found you on the photo had you not been on the front row.

    Hugs, Neet (only kidding) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great weekend, but not sure how they coped with 100 people... that's a lot of controlling, lol! love your project.

    ReplyDelete

Its always lovely to hear from you , so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. Please excuse word varification, I've been getting lots of spam comments.