Thursday 27 February 2020

da Vinci Inspired Inventor and Mad scientist Steampunk egg

Hello there and welcome to my latest (and last for now) Giant Egg.

This time I was inspired by Stamperia's rice paper with the da Vinci images.

My other inspiration was leaded glass windows and set about creating them using Christmas tree baubles that come in a diamond shape.

Here are the photos of the finished egg, to see how I created it, you will have to scroll down past them...




I bought the cool science bottels and the diamond shaped windows from my local craft and scrapbook shop called Mit Liebe (Home Made with love) shop here in Berlin.  They have the most amazing selection of Stamperia products, from the stamps and papers to the stencils and moulds as well as the acrylic sprays.

I traced round the windows and cut them out with a scalple blade.
Once I was happy with the fit of the windows, I embossed some sticky backed foil with gears and adhered it to the egg.  
To fill the rest of the egg, I cut random shaped pieces of foil, adhered them to the egg and drew "stitch" marks with a ballpoint pen before going over it with black paint and rubbing off the excess...and while I had black on the brush... I painted the inside of the egg too...
I love da Vinci's wings and drew one on an A4 page, scanned it into Corel Draw, traced it, then imported it into Tinkercad to create the 3D file to be able to print them out.
Here they are after they had been sprayed with gold spray paint... the Mouse is for scale! LOL!
Using some old dress pattern paper, I glued the wings onto it with gel medium.  This helps to strenthen the paper on the wings.  To get a nice neat edge, I used sand paper to remove the excess paper.  This works much better than trying to cut with scissors.
Vitruvian man was the recipient of the wings... I believe he can fly...
Meanwhile inside the egg... the mad alchemist is busy trying to get an elixer into a bottle...
I put lights inside the bottle with little tiny stars... Like the scientist has captured some of the cosmos!
To finish off the outside of the egg, I used polyurethane to create this moulded piece and cut it out with scissors, to hide the cut edges, I used hot glue and added drips for good measure.
I used Treasure Brass to highlight the details of the mould and the hot glue pattern.
I did the same technique for this piece.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Em Gee you have done it again! What a fantastic piece of art! It is spellbinding and I find it hard to think of words to describe it. It is just absolutely wonderfully fabulous!
    Thank you so much for sharing your art, and more so for showing how you made it. How you have the vision to make such fantastic art I will never know.
    I was blown away by your art in SA but you are proving to be outstanding in Germany.
    Hugs, in awe - Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, what to say, wow, this is super stunning work, talk about creative its just wonderful love every part of it, amazing really amazing.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so enjoyed seeing your amazing egg projects, the outsides are wonderful and the insides - wow, they are incredible. You are a creative genius!

    I bought the Octoman mould after seeing how you used it, not had much luck yet but will keep trying, I just love him! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Its always lovely to hear from you , so thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. Please excuse word varification, I've been getting lots of spam comments.